Here’s an update on the blocks I posted last week. I have half of the quilting done on this project. I knew the cream fabric would be a great opportunity for fancy quilting – and lucky me – my customer gave me free reign!
I found this design in the book Infinite Feathers by Anita Shackelford – which is a wonderful book, by the way. I knew this design would be great for this quilt as soon as I saw it – I just had to enlarge it about 400% on my scanner first in order for the design to fit the space. I then made a template out of mylar template plastic and traced around the template onto the quilt using a blue wash-out pen. Later, I freehand drew the individual feathers into the outline of the shape on the quilt. A lot of extra time and work, but I think it was worth it.
I’ve begun to quilt the blue "logs" by stippling in a matching thread (you can kind of see in the last photo above – the areas without safety pins are quilted). The thread matches really well to the fabric so it’s not noticeable which is good because I didn’t want to distract from the fabric. I also plan to micro-stipple around each feathered motif so it really stands out.
The final (finished) pictures will be up soon – I need to get this one done and out the door! And then on to my next 2 quilts that need to be done ASAP.