Here’s the story about the quilt that I finished but can’t take credit for:
It was May and I was finishing the Boy with a Coin quilt for a customer. Let me take you back even more… whenever I design a quilt, the first thing I do after I have the design is calculate how much fabric I need, how many strips to cut of each fabric, how many units I’ll get out of each strip, etc. – this plan usually results in a more efficient use of my time and fabric.
Well, I cut all my fabric for the Boy with a Coin quilt and started assembling all the units I needed. Then I started placing each completed unit onto my design wall (I should blog about my design wall someday) until the whole design was complete. Then I looked at my cutting table and saw stacks and stacks of half-square triangle units left over! I went ahead and counted them… 168 extra! Urgh! I was so mad at myself for miscalculating how many units I needed and spending so much time doing more work than required.
And then the Parkersburg tornado hit and I heard about a family with a premature baby boy who could use a quilt.
I knew what I was supposed to do. The leftovers alone were enough to make a whole new quilt (shown below). I even had coordinating fabric sitting on my shelves that I used to appliqué the baby’s name, giving it a personal touch. I didn’t have to go out and buy a single shred of fabric, thread, batting – not a thing! – it was all right there at my fingertips. It came together so easily, without much effort on my part. It was meant to be – 164 of the 168 units left over from my customer’s quilt went into this quilt!
Thanks God, for letting me be a part of this one.